Thursday, January 18, 2007

Best of the best

I have started a new routine where several of us from work without direct gameday duties for basketball will grab a few brews between work and the game on weekdays. It is quite a fun time and I feel it goes miles to being a good leader ... knowing your people on a different level.

Anyway, we were discussing how a former marketing employee of mine was promoted to Director of CHAMPS Lifeskills. This was a very good promotion for her and fit well within here interests.


The question being discussed was where does she go from there?


Will she be in CHAMPS for the rest of her career?


Hell no I say.


I will pass along some good advice I got from my old AD, Todd Turner when I was having similar thoughts. He said, "Big E",(that is what he called me, funny because I am 5'5") all you need to worry about is how to be the absolute best at what you are doing now.


Of course I thought, yea, that is what will help Vanderbilt and Todd Turner, but what does that do for me?


How naive. Low and behold, I have been promoted three times with all three being in different departments completely. From facilities, to event operations, to web manager, to marketing. In addition, at Vanderbilt right now our very talented Game Operations/Facilities guy is leaving us to work in development.


The point is, no matter what you do, be the best. Or at least strive to be the best, and the fruits of your labor will reveal themselves in time.


Success in this business is hinged on passion and innovation.


Take care.

No comments: