Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Baby Bummer …

One of the things that just slapped me in the face when my wife and I had our little girl was how it would affect our work.

I totally underestimated how much time, energy, and sick days Grace would cost me. (That sounds bad; I would not trade my daughter for the world) I am a natural workaholic. Like I said in my last post, I love to work, love to learn, and love to inspire.

After Grace was born, I learned that they sometimes get sick. Yea, no lie. Of course, my wife will stay home right? Not necessarily. She is a working woman, so she has the same issues as I do.

What do we do? Split days.

Right now I am at home, with Grace (daughter), because I had an important meeting to attend in the morning. And my wife had work to do all day, but she shifted it to the afternoon.

This wasn’t exactly how I saw the New Year getting started, but as a father, a husband, and sometimes a decent friend, I am pulled many directions. But I love it. I love it all.

One of my friends said it best. When I was complaining one time, I used the analogy that my bucket was overflowing. He, very plainly said, “then you need a bigger bucket”. Truer words have never been said. And now, my bucket is much bigger than when Grace was born. However, the thought crosses my mind that in order to continue to move up in this business, time will become even tighter.

Here’s to looking for the bottomless bucket!

Take care.

No comments: